It's not just national media figures like Dr. Phil that are looking at the supposed epidemic of "Farmville addiction." The fine folks at KDSA in Sioux Falls, South Dakota filed the above report (partial transcript here) on the 82.4 million people that are "spending real time which is part of [their] real life ... harvesting virtual crops, caring for virtual animals ... and none of it is real." (it helps if you read those quotes in the jaded, 'can-you-believe-it?' tone that the newscaster uses)
The report focuses on a single Farmville player, mother and cardiac nurse Stacy Rothstein, a self-admitted "addict" who plays the game for five hours a day. Thankfully, the addiction expert the network consults clarifies that an interest in the game turns into an addiction only if it negatively impacts the player's real life. Still, the whole piece has that overly broad, accusatory tone that often comes along when media outlets cover something they don't fully understand.
Despite this, the entire piece is worth watching just to hear the main reporter give the following anecdote at the end: "I was talking about this [game] with my wife, just how I didn't understand it, how I thought it was a little annoying, and she says 'How about the hours you've spent playing NCAA football,' and I got real quiet."
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate Now.
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- What ‘below deck’ food is like on a cruise ship: ‘Dear God, I’d nev…
- The Korean Vegan shares how going vegan has changed her life in unexpe…
- Conceal and highlight like a pro with this tutorial
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!