Blizzard, the Makers of World of Warcraft, has taken the first step to introduce Facebook into its popular PC games. Anyone who uses Battle.net -- Blizzard's service that links players to their online games -- will be able to use Facebook to find and recruit fellow players.
The first implementation will be in Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty beta and will roll out to to everyone when the game officially launches on July 27. The press release says that "information about other Facebook-related features on Battle.net will be announced at a later date," and we can't help but wonder if that means some kind of Facebook tie-in will be coming to World of Warcraft as well.
Integration with social networks is a trend that's taken hold of hardcore console and PC game makers. Last year, Uncharted 2 for PlayStation 3 launched last year with a well meaning, but ultimately annoying, Twitter integration and EA's Need for Speed World for PC will also have Facebook implementation (plus a few other console games we're not allowed to spill the beans on just yet).
It's nice to see traditional game companies embrace social networks, but does this integration really add to the game experience or is it more of a gimmick? So far, we'd vote for the latter, but if the Blizzard-Facebook connection can help you hook up with friends who are playing the same game, this might be the first useful implementation we've seen so far.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Yes, petite people can wear maxi dresses — here are 6 must-buy styl…
- 5 delicious ice cream sandwich recipes that are perfect for summer
- Thousands of Amazon shoppers love this best-selling projector with 3,7…
- Earn Unlimited 1.5x Miles for Every Dollar Spent on All Purchases
- $200 Sign Up Bonus to Start the Summer
- These 5 Cards Are No Risk, All Reward. Save today!