What you need to know to dispute a credit card charge

Disputing a charge on your credit card may seem like a monumental undertaking, but it's a lot easier than you may think (of course, the credit card companies don't want you to know that.) The key is to know your rights and the rules governing your card.

There are three types of disputes consumers can use to seek to reverse charges: unauthorized use (typically as a result of credit card or identity theft), billing errors or substandard services or goods (this is referred to as the right to withhold payment.)

WalletPop asked Chi Chi Wu, staff attorney at the National Consumer Law Center, what consumers need to know when they dispute a charge and how to navigate the process. Here's what she had to say: