Burger King turns Digg search errors into ads. What's next?
The error page is reported to say, "No results for 'Your Search Error' were found. Looks like your search had a typo. Blame it on your tiny hands. The beefy $1 Burger King Double Cheeseburger gives tiny hands some trouble, too." and will likely feature images or video of the new small hands BK ads that are in continual play on major networks.
While companies and sellers have taken advantage of misspellings in search results for Google and search engines, this is one of the first times we've seen this type of sponsorship in the U.S., and leaves us wondering where else Web sites could sell ads.
There aren't many places left on social news sites like Digg that don't already have ads tied to them, but we found a few places that the company could use to boost revenue.
- New User Signup-- This signup brought to you by VW where you can "Sign and Drive" today.
- New Submissions -- This submission brought to you by Subway, the perfect meal for sub-mitting your way to the top of Digg.
- Digg History -- Brought to you by the History Channel and Pawn Stars.
- Bury this Story -- Brought to you by NickelBack, "Please click cancel!"
- New Fans -- Brought to you by Match.com - Find your fans IRL now.
- Friend Recommendations -- Brought to you by eHarmony -- based on 29 Digg Dimensions.
- Comments -- Sponsored by First National Bank, Second Life and the exclamation point from Yahoo!