After the Haiti earthquake, FarmVille responded by allowing players to buy limited edition White Corn seeds, and 100% of the proceeds went to the World Food Programme. Now the WFP gives back, thanking virtual farmers for their generosity.
"We wanted to thank all of you for stepping up and helping them during this time of crisis," the WFP rep says in the video, which was filmed at a WFP "nutrition activity" in Port-au-Prince.
Sales of the limited edition White Corn seeds brought in roughly 1 million dollars, which were used to help earthquake victims.
This video comes on the heels of a Brazilian news site accusing Zynga of keeping half of the proceeds, which Zynga firmly denies. We suspect the confusion was over FarmVille's previous Haiti relief campaign (before the giant earthquake) -- also called Sweet Seeds for Haiti -- and for those, 50% of the proceeds were donated and Zynga pocketed the rest.
Whatever the case, it's nice to see that spending a few dollars from the comfort of your home (playing a game no less) can actually make a difference.
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tr…
- Key 30-year mortgage rate stays low, refinancing window still open
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Do This Before Your Next Mortgage Payment (it's genius)
- How to Turn Your Home Equity into Cash. Calculate now
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.04% APR (15 yr)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Save on La Mer, Jo Malone and more luxury beauty brands during the …
- New dads vs. experienced dads — hilarious TikTok couple show the diffe…
- 5 jeans under $60 to get from Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale
- You Could Earn 70K Miles with this Top Travel Card
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card