The eccentric video game maker Richard Garriott, the creator of Ultima and the short-lived Tabula Rasa, announced that he's still got game -- and this time, it will be in the form of a new social gaming venture called Portalarium. According to the Austin American Statesman, the company's first new Facebook game will be ... a poker game?
Considering there are several great poker games on Facebook -- including Zynga's Texas Hold 'Em and Playfish's Poker Rivals -- this seems like an unusual choice for the company's premier title. The article says that other games will follow (maybe a space walking game? *rimshot*) and will be available cross-platform -- on Facebook, MySpace and iPhone.
"If you look at the state-of-the-art in social media gaming right now, it lags behind a lot of the more experienced developers by a fairly significant margin," Garriott says.
Portalarium is also working on a new Facebook plug-in that will support applications other than Adobe's Flash, which is the driving force behind the biggest social games, such as FarmVille and Cafe World. This is one of the most interesting aspect of Garriott's announcement, especially considering how Flash does not work on iPhone and the upcoming iPad. If that means we can play FarmVille on iPhone that much sooner, then we say Godspeed, Lord British.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images
- Latest mortgage news: Rates edge up again this week
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 3 Ways To Find Cash In Your Home (Easier Than You Think)
- Your Best Refinance Rates for November 2021
- Crush Your Mortgage With This Government Program
- The best Wayfair Black Friday sales to take advantage of today
- Over 7,000 Amazon shoppers rave about this rowing machine — and it’s o…
- Amazon shoppers are raving about this best-selling heated jacket — and…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!