Radon in the Home Still a Silent Killer

Gloria Linnertz was so angry and grief-stricken that she told The Chicago Sun-Times that she only wanted to do one thing to her home: Tear it to the ground.

Her husband, Joe Linnertz, died of lung cancer in 2006. The cancer was brought on by radon gas levels in their home that registered four times higher than the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standard. Their home was not new, but, at 18 years old, wasn't ancient, either.

Sadly, her husband had once suggested testing their home for radon after seeing a story about it on the news. Unfortunately, that never happened. A year later, Joe Linnertz, a non-smoker, developed lung cancer.

You, too, are at risk -- regardless of whether you live in a house or an apartment.