A Christmas Carol for the age of foreclosure

As Christmas time approached, Derek Frazier got the bad news from his bank: his Fort Lauderdale house was being placed in foreclosure, like so many other houses in the Sunshine State. Frazier had been out of work for months.

It didn't take long for the electricity to stop surging though the modest home; it had been turned off by the electric company.

To keep his family warm , Frazier reportedly started using an indoor gas generator to provide power. It also provided an atmosphere saturated with carbon monoxide.

This week, Frazier's four young children were rushed to an area hospital suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.