Goldman Sachs' record profits ($3.19 billion in the three months before September) have turned the firm's bankers into fairy godfathers and mothers of sorts, pouring millions into affordable housing, small businesses, and management education. But the folks who really hope to benefit from their windfall are real estate brokers. When Wall Streeters get their fat bonus checks this year (not all as fat as Goldman's, but most banks are handing out meatier checks than last year), some in the real estate business expect them to park their windfall not in the bank or the stock market, but in condos.
"Goldman is paying a dollar on every two they're making," says broker Gea Elika, whose firm, Elika Associates, typically sees about 25% of its business devoted to people in finance. "A number of Wall Street guys are starting to look, and most are looking to upgrade."
In anticipation of the bonus buyer's return, Elika is doubling his staff, albeit from a modest four brokers. He's also altering his game plan. The bonus buyer was once cavalier about his purchases, but no more. Before the bust, Elika says, "people would spend the money before they even got the money. Now they're being a lot more conscious, and a lot more cautious."
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.02% APR. Can you save?
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Crush Your Debt: Refinance to a 15 yr fixed
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 6 Cards With Massive Sign Up Bonuses (Get $200 Fast)
- The Fastest Way to Pay off $10,000 in Credit Card Debt
- 4 Cards Charging 0% Interest Until 2023
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program