Pamela Anderson hit with a pair of tax liens

Pamela AndersonPamela Anderson is in the news again but not necessarily for the reasons she hoped. The former Baywatch babe and Playboy model had hoped to cause a stir upon the release of her new pop song, "High" in early 2010 (the song is co-produced by fashion, um, designer Richie Rich). Instead, she's making headlines for high... tax liens.

WalletPop previously reported on Pam's money woes in October, which were allegedly related to construction problems at her dream home.

The actress tried to downplay concerns about her finances in the press, saying, "Mistakes may have been made in calculating taxes owed and we are now in the process of ensuring that any taxes owed are paid."

Those mistakes have led to a pair of problems for the actress. The IRS has filed a $1,700,173 lien against Anderson with the Los Angeles County Recorder of Deeds. Earlier this year, the state of California filed a $252,360 tax lien against her in Los Angeles.

A federal tax lien can only be filed by the IRS after the tax is assessed; a Notice and Demand for Payment is mailed; and the taxpayer neglects or refuses to fully pay the debt. If payment isn't made after 10 days of receipt of the notice, the IRS files a tax lien for the amount of the debt. The lien attaches to property (such as Pam's house) and puts other creditors on notice.

State tax liens generally operate in the same manner.

Despite the liens and rumors about her finances, the 42-year-old mother of two swears she'll be fine. She's weathered storms before, including a number of divorces, spousal abuse and a hepatitis C diagnosis.

The not-so-naturally blonde bombshell first made news in 1989, when she modeled for Playboy magazine. She has since made the cover of a number of magazines and was named by the Guinness Book as the world record holder for being the "most down loaded" star.

The 10 Most Overlooked Tax Deductions

Don't overpay taxes by overlooking these tax deductions. See the 10 most common deductions taxpayers miss on their tax returns so you can keep more money in your pocket.

Read More

Brought to you by

How to Find a Good CPA for Your Taxes

Finding a good CPA for your taxes is simple with these seven tips: 1. Ask about their specialization; 2. Verify their identification number, 3. Look up their license, 4. Consider their experience, 5. Confirm their willingness to sign, 6. Ask for advice, and 7. Determine their fees.

Read More

Brought to you by

Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions

Self-employed taxpayers report their business income and expenses on Schedule C. TurboTax can help make the job easier.

Read More

Brought to you by

2018 Tax Reform Impact: What You Should Know

Congress has passed the largest piece of tax reform legislation in more than three decades. The bill went into place on January 1, 2018, which means that it will affect the taxes of most taxpayers for the 2018 tax year.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.