10 most popular 0% credit cards
Most 0% credit cards also offer that attractive 0% rate for a limited time, frequently for just the first six months, and/or charge an annual fee that might eat up anything you gain by that 0% interest rate. Search for a 0% credit card with no annual fee, the lowest regular APR and the longest window of time at 0% interest so you can try to get your balance down to zero before the interest rate shoots up.
Here are 10 of the most popular 0% credit cards, according to Bankrate.com:
1. Capital One No Hassle Miles Rewards. This 0% credit card offers 0% interest on purchases until November 2010, with a regular APR of 13.90% and no annual fee. You earn 1 mile per dollar spent on purchases up to $1,000 and 2 miles per dollar spent above that amount every month. There is no limit and no expiration on the miles you can earn, with no blackout dates and no seat restrictions. Also, this 0% credit card has no foreign transaction fees. Or take it up a notch with the Capital One No Hassle Miles Ultra for Professionals 0% credit card, which varies in that it charges a $39 annual fee and offers 2 miles for every dollar spent.
2. Discover More Card -- American Flag. Get 0% interest for six months on purchases and 12 months on balance transfers, with a regular APR of 11.99-18.99% and no annual fee. You earn up to 20% Cashback Bonus rewards when shopping online, get even bigger rewards when buying from any of the more than 100 Cashback Bonus Partners with this 0% credit card, plus get access to customer service in less than a minute 24/7. There are several types of Discover More Cards; one of the more interesting options in this family includes the Biodegradable Discover More Card, which offers the same benefits and is made of a card plastic that actually breaks down 99% within five years in landfill conditions. It's arguably the only 0% credit card that literally turns to zero.
3. Slate from Chase. This 0% credit card offers 0% interest for up to 12 months on purchases and balance transfers; regular APR as low as 13.24%; no annual fee. It also offers patented fraud protection and zero liability on unauthorized purchases, plus get e-mail and text alerts.
4. Citi Platinum Select Card. You get 0% interest on purchases and balance transfers for up to nine months, regular APR as low as 11.99% and no annual fee with this 0% credit card. Plus it allows access to Citi Identity Theft Solutions and 0% liability on unauthorized purchases. You also get secure, free online account management and Extra Cash from Citi, which provides discounts on gift cards, travel, merchandise and more.
5. Miles by Discover Card. You get 1,000 miles each month you make a purchase for the first 12 months, so you can get up to 12,000 bonus miles. You also get double miles with this 0% credit card on up to $3,000 in travel and restaurant purchases per year, and 1 mile for every $1 on all other purchases. You can book any travel, anytime with no blackout dates or restrictions and no expiration, or redeem travel credits on gift cards or purchases from any of Discover's 90 Partners.
6. Citi Forward Card. This 0% credit card touts itself as the credit card that rewards you for good behavior. You get 0% interest for six months, with a regular APR of 14.24% and no annual fee. Then the 0% credit card offers up to a 2.5% purchase APR reduction when you make a purchase, stay under your credit line and pay on time for three consecutive billing periods. You get 6,000 bonus points if you make $250 in purchases within three months of opening the account and 5,000 bonus points if you sign up for paperless statements within three months of opening the account. You also earn 5 reward points for each dollar you spend on dining, books, movies and music, and 1 reward point for each dollar you spend on anything else.
7. Golf Magazine Rewards Visa Credit Card. For the golf lover, this 0% credit card offers not only 0% interest on balance transfers for six months, with a regular APR of prime rate plus 12.99% on purchases and no annual fee -- you also earn 1% cash back on points good toward golf gear, preferred tee times, VIP golf experiences, travel, merchandise and gift cards.
8. Chase Freedom Credit Card. This 0% credit card offers 0% interest rate up to 12 months, with regular APR as low as 13.24% and no annual fee. You get 3% bonus cash back for revolving categories including gas, home improvement and department store purchases, and 1% cash back on all other purchases, with no caps on how much you can earn. You get up to an additional 20% cash back at select merchants when you shop online at Chase, but probably the best part of this 0% credit card is you get $50 cash back after your first purchase -- which means this card initially costs less than zero.
9. Visa Black Card. If you want a 0% credit card that reeks of luxury, consider this one. 0% interest on balance transfers for six billing cycles (with regular 13.24% APR on purchases) and a $495 annual fee. You get 24-hour concierge service, 1% cashback on all purchases, travel redemption points, luxury gifts, access to more than 500 travel lounges in more than 90 countries, as well as worldwide travel insurance, baggage delay insurance, trip interruption insurance, warranty manager service and purchase security.
10. Platinum Zero Secured Visa Credit Card. Yes, there is at least one 0% credit card on Bankrate's list that stays 0% for good. This 0% credit card claims to offer 0% fixed APR on purchases, even if you're late. They also promise zero turn-downs, zero credit and income requirements, zero application fees, plus credit limits up to $5,000 and free personal ID theft protection. We're not sure how this is possible, but before you file it under the too good to be true category, it's worth looking into.
Try Bankrate.com for credit card searches and to find updated APRs, plus WalletPop's review of the top 5 low-rate credit cards for more options.