Zsa Zsa Gabor owes IRS $118,321

After losing about $7 million in Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme, 92-year old Zsa Zsa Gabor now has the IRS to deal with.

On Oct. 5, the IRS filed a lien for $118,321 for the years 2001 and 2002 with the Los Angeles County Recorder of Deeds.

According to The Associated Press
, "Gabor lawyer Chris Fields estimates that Gabor lost about $7 million in Madoff's Ponzi scheme and the tax bill is part of the fallout. Fields says third-party money managers invested Gabor's money with Madoff."

How losing money in 2008 would lead to additional taxes being owed for 2001 and 2002 is a bit of a mystery to me. It's possible that she was trying to work out her tax issues with the IRS but with the losses to Madoff, no longer has the money to pay her back taxes.

When the Madoff fraud was first revealed, Gabor's husband, the 64-year old Frederic Prinz von Anhalt, lamented that the couple "might be forced to sell our Bel Air home."

Hopefully the IRS will be lenient with the couple in light of the massive losses they sustained at the hands of Bernie Madoff.
Read Full Story

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.