Free admission to 800 museums on September 26
Each September, hundreds of U.S. museums celebrate Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day by opening their doors and waiving admission fees. On Saturday, Sept. 26, more than 800 participating locations will give free entry to those who download and print the admission card on the magazine's web site.
These aren't your American-Museum-of-Whoopee-Cushions-type museums, but many of the largest and most prestigious in the country. A sampling of those participating-
- The American Folk Art Museum, New York, N.Y.
- The Pratt Manhattan Gallery, New York, N.Y.
- Miami Art Museum, Miami, Fla.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Mass.
- Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum, Memphis, Tenn.
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, Houston, Texas
- International Museum of Surgical Science, Chicago, Ill.
- Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, Santa Fe, N.M.
- Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame, Seattle, Wash.
- Exploratorium, San Francisco, Calif.
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, Pacific Palisades, Calif.
Of course, the Smithsonian is always free.
Kudos to these museums for making our national and worldwide cultures available to everyone on this day. It would be a shame to miss this opportunity.
Reminder - Don't forget to print your admission card from the web site and bring it along.
More SmartMoney:10 Things Contractors Won't Tell You l 10 Things Center