Survey says: 60% of Americans are stupid

The Wall Street Journalreports (subscription required) on the results of a new ING Group survey: "More than 40% of Americans believe mortgages that let borrowers buy a home with little or no money down helped contribute to the economic downturn."

That's great that 40% of Americans aren't completely stupid -- but what about the other 60%? I'm dreadfully curious as to what possible argument could be made that record lows in down payments weren't a major contributor to the housing and mortgage bust that ultimately led to the near-collapse of the financial system.

First, low down-payment requirements allowed people to buy houses they couldn't afford, with little "skin in the game." This helped drive home prices into a speculative bubble and made it perfectly rational for people to walk when their homes declined in value: When you have no equity in it, why stay?

Worse, the high loan-to-value ratios caused by down-payments of 0% and sometimes even less made banks' losses on foreclosures higher than they would be in a more conservatively-financed situation. If a home buyer puts down 20%, he "eats" the first 20% in losses on the house. These 0% down-payments left banks with massive losses in the event of a decline in real estate prices -- and that led to huge write-downs, a freeze in lending and a slowdown in consumer spending -- in other words, the economic downturn.

Anyone who says that the escalating percentage of little or no money down didn't help contribute to the economic downturn is terrifyingly ignorant -- and this crisis will repeat itself again unless people brush up on what happened.
Read Full Story
  • DJI25914.1065.230.25%
  • NIKKEI 22521565.35-19.15-0.09%
    Hang Seng29354.99-54.02-0.18%
  • USD (PER EUR)1.130.00080.07%
    USD (PER CHF)1.000.00060.06%
    JPY (PER USD)111.27-0.1590-0.14%
    GBP (PER USD)1.330.00270.20%

Can't get enough business news?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from retailer news to the latest IPOs delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.