Fire danger -- six deaths reported from robes that catch fire

In the two months since a line of robes were recalled over flammability concerns, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has learned that six people have been burned to death wearing them.

The CPSC said five of the six victims were women -- three in their 80s -- and all were cooking when their robes caught fire.

The recalled full-length chenille robes are made by Blair LLC, of Warren, Pa. About 162,000 were sold. The robes were sold in Blair catalogs and from the company's Web site, as well as at Blair stores in Warren, Pa.; Grove City, Pa.; and Wilmington, Del., between January 2003 and March 2009. The robes sold for about $20 to $40.

Blair had initially recalled the robes in April after getting reports of three catching fire, including one incident in which the victim suffered second-degree burns, the CPSC said. Officials said the company had sent letters to all known owners of the robes alerting them to the danger.

The recalled robes have the following item numbers: 3093111, 3093112, 3093113, 3093114, 3093115, and 3093116. Consumers can locate the item number on a label in the garment's neckline.