What you don't know can kill you -- the CPSC settles a dangerous product complaint

Mitch Lipka

At the core of the the American consumer product safety system is the reliance on companies to tell the truth. The truth is not every company is all that honest.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission yesterday announced that Mega Brands agreed to pay $1.1 million to settle a complaint that honesty was not the policy when a Washington state toddler in 2005 swallowed magnets from its Magnetix line and died. To be fair to Mega, which makes tons of kids products, the affected product line was under a different company's ownership -- Rose Art -- at the time the boy died. Canada-based Mega acquired Rose Art that year.