First-time homebuyers credit, courtesy of the IRS

Part the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 is a tax credit for those buying a home for the first time. It's not exactly free money for you. Rather, it's a chance to get a $7,500 interest-free loan from Uncle Sam. And you get 15 years to pay it back.

To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
  • Be buying your first home (rental properties and vacation homes purchased in the past don't count against you, but if your spouse owned a home before, that does count against you)
  • Purchase the home between April 9, 2008 and July 1, 2009
  • Not have income greater than $75,000 (single) or $150,000 (married)
The credit of $7,500 can be taken by eligible taxpayers on their 2008 or 2009 tax return. A credit is the best type of tax benefit because it reduces your tax liability dollar for dollar, wiping out $7,500 of taxes you otherwise would have paid. And if your tax bill is less than $7,500, you can get the difference refunded to you.

You don't get to keep the money forever, though. You'll have to pay back $500 each year on your tax return, for 15 years. But there's no interest on the $7,500 you received up front, so it's still a good deal. The bottom line is that the government wants to offer up some money for those buying their first homes, and let them pay it back over time.

To find more on new tax laws, click here.

Top Five Ways to Avoid a Tax Audit

If the IRS does decide to audit you, there is little you may do to stop it. You may, however, reduce the odds that you will be singled out for that extra attention in the first place.

Read More

Brought to you by

What Filing Status Deducts the Most Taxes?

Your filing status can make a big difference in how much income tax you pay. If you make $40,000 a year, for instance, the amount of tax you will pay depends on which filing status you qualify for. The difference in tax rates are significant and can mean the difference between paying up to 15 percent or 25 percent. Your decision to file single, jointly or as head of household will also affect the size of your standard deduction.

Read More

Brought to you by

Are College Entrance Exams Tax Deductible?

The fees for taking SAT, ACT and other college entrance exams are not tax-deductible, but the federal government does allow a number of educational deductions and tax credits. Find out more about these educational deductions and credits and how they can benefit you.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story