Underrated in America: Congressional representatives
The formative experience that made me realize how much I had underrated my congressman was when I had trouble consolidating some student loans. After numerous phone calls to both lenders with no results I reached out to Jim Jordan, my local representative. His office was able to get in touch with the right people and get the loans consolidated within a matter of weeks; saving me close to $300 a month. For more on how to use your congressman or woman to solve student issues check out WalletPop's guide.
On top of that helping you with student loan disputes they can also:
- Help with federal agencies such as housing, Veterans' benefits, Social Security and Medicare.
Arrange tours at points of interest in DC.
- Assist with Passport and immigration issues.
- Nominate you for a U.S. Service Academy such as West Point.
- Help you get a Congressional internship.
- Provide you with a flag flown over the U.S. Capitol.
- Congratulatory letters for birthdays anniversaries, retirements and more.
- Assistance requesting federal funding.
Obviously these are just a few of the extra services that our representatives have to offer their constituents and may vary from state to state. To find out what your representative can do for you, look for the "constituent services" section of their website.
If you think that your congressional representatives are overrated based on their past legislative performance, maybe these services will be enough to change your mind. I know the help I received from Jim Jordan in straightening out a student loan issue has changed my opinion of congressmen and women greatly!