Need household tools? Check your local dollar store!
1. 10" claw hammer. The $1 hammer is all metal with a rubber hand grip. The only 10" hammer I could find at Home Deport had a wooden handle and cost $3.98.
2. 16' measuring tape with a blade lock, quick rewind and a rubberized casing. Cost, $1. A similar 16" measuring tape at Home Depot cost $3.98.
3. 9 1/2" screw drivers. The $1 screw drivers have hard plastic handles with rubber grips. The hardware store sells similar screw drivers for $6.96 each.
4. Needle nose pliers. The dollar store has two or three different sizes of these for $1 each and they all have plastic-coated or rubberized handles. The Home Depot's pliers cost $6.99 for the 6 1/2" size.
5. Crescent wrench. Okay, maybe the Home Depot wrench has a bit more metal in it but $23.74 for a small wrench? For all I use a crescent wrench, I'll stick with my $1 ones.
6. Pliers. I could only find one make of regular pliers at the Home Depot and they were reasonably priced at $2. Still, you can get a good pair of pliers at the dollar store for only $1.
7. Cutting tool with break-off blades. Otherwise known as "box cutters," the cheapest ones I could find at Home Depot were made of plastic and cost $2.69. A similar one at the dollar store is only a buck.
8. 17-compartment organizer. This is the kind of plastic case you use for organizing wall anchors and various other small doo-dads. The one at Home depot costs $4.49 and - yup, you guessed it - I got mine for a buck.
9. Putty knife/paint scrapper. I saw two sizes of these at Dollarama for $1 each and they have rubberized handles. The ones at Home Depot range in price from $6.27 to $8.44.
10. 11 1/2" plastic tool box. I got mine at Dollarama a couple of years ago. It's the perfect size for the trunk of the car or for stashing in a closet so you always have a screwdriver or a pair of pliers on hand. I haven't seen any there of late but Buck or Two still sells them for $2 each. At Home Depot, a slightly larger 12 1/2" plastic tool box sells for $6.98.
Marlene Alexander is a freelance writer and dollar store diva. She writes about home decorating ideas using only items from the dollar store.