Tips for Tax Procrastinators: Ask a friend for help

If you have trouble sorting through all your tax documents and getting them ready for a tax preparer, maybe you just need help from a friend. Find someone you trust, someone who is good at organization and is a little familiar with taxes, and ask her or him to help you sort out all your documents.

Maybe your friend can even help you prepare your taxes if you've got a basic tax return. You do have to be careful though, because I can't tell you how many times I've heard "my friend said..." and the "tax advice" turned out to be wrong. If you have any doubt about your friend's tax knowledge, don't have them help you prepare the tax return. Go to a professional.

Which leads us to another area in which friends can help... finding a qualified tax preparer. It's never a good idea to just pick a tax preparer out of the phone book. It's an even worse idea to use one of the large tax preparation chains (H&R Block, Liberty Tax, Jackson Hewitt, etc.). The best way to find a good tax preparer is by seeking referrals from friends and family. Who do they use? Are their prices reasonable? Have they done a good job? Do they seem very knowledgeable?

Read more Tips for Tax Procrastinators

Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, MBA, CFE performs fraud examinations and financial investigations for her company Sequence Inc. Forensic Accounting, and is the author of Essentials of Corporate Fraud.

Tax Tips for Real Estate Agents and Brokers

Most real estate agents and brokers receive income in the form of commissions from sales transactions. You're generally not considered an employee under federal tax guidelines, but rather a self-employed sole proprietor, even if you're an agent or broker working for a real estate brokerage firm. This self-employed status allows you to deduct many of the expenses you incur in your real estate sales or property management activities. Careful record keeping and knowing your eligible write-offs are key to getting all of the tax deductions you're entitled to.

Read More

Brought to you by

What is the Educator Expense Tax Deduction?

The Educator Expense Tax Deduction allows teachers and certain academic administrators to deduct a portion of the costs of technology, supplies, and certain training. Here’s what teachers need to know about taking the Educator Expense Deduction on their tax returns.

Read More

Brought to you by

Self-Employed Less Than a Year? How to Do Your Taxes

Have you been self-employed less than a year? If you’re just starting out, it’s possible you worked at a job earlier in the tax year before making the switch to self-employment, or you’re working multiple jobs. In this case, you may have more than once source of income you’ll need to report on your income tax return.

Read More

Brought to you by

Taxes for Grads: Do Scholarships Count as Taxable Income?

Heading off to college to broaden your horizons is exciting, but funding your education via scholarships? That's even better. Scholarships often provide a path to education that might not be feasible otherwise, which is why the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can be generous in minimizing students' tax obligations. But sometimes scholarship money does count as income, and it’s better to find out now if your scholarship adds to your tax liability than to have a surprise later. Here’s how to decode your scholarship taxation.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.