Want to pay more taxes? Go for it!

One of the most common rebuttals to dinner-table arguments for tax increases goes something like this: "You want to pay more taxes? Go for it! But leave me the heck alone!"

It turns out you actually can do that. Last year, the U.S. Treasury collected $2.6 million in voluntary reduce the debt donations. According to Wikipedia, the IRS collected about $1,236,259,000,000. I won't bore you by expressing that as a percent but suffice to say that just about no one feels strongly enough about the national debt to make their own contributions to it.

Enter California Republican Congressman John Campbell who has introduced a bill in the House of Representatives called "The Put Your Money Where Wealth is Act." The bill would place a little box on the 1040 that you can just write in the additional amount you wish to donate to the Treasury, making it easier for the millions of Americans who are secretly dying to pay more taxes to do just that.

The Wall Street Journalopines (subscription required) that"Apparently even most liberals would rather keep their money, or bequeath their estates to charity rather than to the IRS."

And why is that? I would guess that most people intuitively recognize that private organizations are more efficient at using resources to do good work than that government.

That's something to think about as we listen to politicians in an election talk magnanimously about the need to help out struggling homeowners -- with your money, whether you like it or not.

Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.
3 Great Tips for Your 2022 Taxes
There's no reason to wait until tax time to start making sure you've checked all the right boxes. Here are three tips for making the most of your money when it comes to filing your taxes in 2022.
Read MoreBrought to you byTurboTax.com
4 Types of Tax Preparers
There are four general types of tax preparers: certified public accountants, enrolled agents, tax attorneys, and non-credentialed preparers. Here's a quick guide on the differences between them.
Read MoreBrought to you byTurboTax.com
Child Tax Credit
Tax reform has caused some changes to the rules for the Child Tax Credit in recent years. Here's how to know whether you qualify for this credit.
Read MoreBrought to you byTurboTax.com
Maximizing Tax Deductions for the Business Use of Your Car
The business use of your car can be one of the largest tax deduction you can take to reduce your business income. This is a big, big deal. Why two bigs? Because your business income is used to calculate two taxes: your personal income tax and your self-employment tax (the amount you pay into Social Security and Medicare as the owner of your rideshare business). Maximizing your deduction for the business use of your car will help you minimize these taxes.
Read MoreBrought to you byTurboTax.com