Tips for Tax Procrastinators: Pay what you owe now

If you're pretty sure that you're going to owe the IRS or the state, it's important to send in your payment as soon as possible. When you're delaying filing your taxes, it's tempting to also delay paying the taxes you know you'll owe.

But delaying paying your taxes only increases the pain. In reality, the tax money is due in quarterly installments throughout the tax year. If you haven't sent in those quarterly payments, you've been accruing some interest and penalties. And each day you wait to pay now is another day of penalties and interest.

It's important to pay your taxes as soon as possible to stop the interest and penalties from adding up. The bad news is that you never get out of your tax debts. Barring unusual circumstances or a settlement with the IRS, you're going to have to keep paying them so long as you owe them tax money. The good news? You can stop the pain by paying now.

Read more Tips for Tax Procrastinators

Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, MBA, CFE performs fraud examinations and financial investigations for her company Sequence Inc. Forensic Accounting, and is the author of Essentials of Corporate Fraud.

Fatten Your Paycheck and Still Get a Tax Refund

If you usually get a tax refund, but would like to start putting more money in your pocket every month, we can help. Yes, you still have to fill out a W-4 form. But we've developed a quick and easy guide to assist you.

Read More

Brought to you by

10 Tax Tips for Filing an Amended Return

Say you happily filed your tax return by the end of February and were the envy of all your friends, but in June you realized you forgot to include income from last summer's freelance job. Don’t worry, all you need to do is file an amended return using Form 1040X.

Read More

Brought to you by

Important Tax Deadlines and Dates

Knowing when and what you have to file can save you a lot of headaches at tax time. To avoid paying penalties, mark your calendar with the following important tax deadlines.

Read More

Brought to you by

Tax Breaks and Home Ownership

Home ownership brings with it not only many trips to home improvement stores, but also a slew of tax breaks. It's up to you to take full advantage of the write-offs available to you. Here's what you can and can't deduct.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.