Tips for Tax Procrastinators: File an extension

If you're behind on getting your taxes done, one of the best things you can do is file an extension. That will buy you some extra time to get everything filed. But don't use that as an excuse to keep procrastinating. Use it just to give you more time so you're not hurrying to finish your taxes (and therefore making mistakes or missing important items).

Remember this, though: filing an extension only gives you more time to file the papers, not more time to pay if you owe money. So if you have a pretty good idea that you'll owe money to the IRS or the state, you should send that money with the extension.

You can get a six month extension by filing Form 4868 by the tax deadline of April 15th.

Read more Tips for Tax Procrastinators

Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, MBA, CFE performs fraud examinations and financial investigations for her company Sequence Inc. Forensic Accounting, and is the author of Essentials of Corporate Fraud.

Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.
When are Taxes Due? Important Tax Deadlines and Dates
Make sure your calendar is up-to-date with these important deadlines, dates, possible extensions and other factors in play for both individuals and businesses in 2021.
Read MoreBrought to you
Guide to Filing Taxes as Head of Household
The IRS has provided a series of guidelines to help taxpayers understand whether or not they qualify to file as head of household.
Read MoreBrought to you
Tax Tips After January 1, 2022
Your tax bill isn't chiseled in stone at the end of the year. Here are 10 tax tips and steps you can take after January 1 to help you lower your taxes, save money when preparing your tax return, and avoid tax penalties.
Read MoreBrought to you
Birth of a Child
The birth of a child is not just a blessed event; it's the beginning of a whole new set of tax breaks for your family. Learn how the newest addition to your family can help trim your tax bill, and how to save for your child's future in the most tax-efficient manner.
Read MoreBrought to you