Tax Tips: Setting up a payment plan

If you owe taxes to the government, the worst thing you can do is try to ignore it. Not paying your tax debt can get very expensive, very quickly. Each day that you don't pay, you're incurring interest and penalties at alarming rates. The best thing you can do, short of paying in full, is set up a payment plan with the IRS.

Make sure you file your taxes on time, whether you owe or not. Late filing is the first thing that will get you in trouble. So even if you owe, go ahead and file your taxes. Then wait for the IRS to send you a notice about the money you owe. Read it carefully, and call the phone number they give you to make payment arrangements.

The process of setting up the plan isn't too hard, but you should be aware that the IRS will want you to stretch to pay your tax debt off as soon as possible. Their theory is that they should get paid before you do. No spending on eating out, entertainment, or other extras. So they'll propose a monthly amount that might sound higher than you want to pay. Suck it up and pay it. Believe me, when your tax debt is paid, you'll feel much better.

Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, MBA, CFE performs fraud examinations and financial investigations for her company Sequence Inc. Forensic Accounting, and is the author of Essentials of Corporate Fraud.

Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.
Are Political Contributions Tax Deductible?
When elections start picking up, you might be looking to donate or work with your campaign of choice. But are political contributions tax-deductible?
Read MoreBrought to you
5 Things You Should Know about Capital Gains Tax
A capital gain occurs when you sell something for more than you spent to acquire it. This happens a lot with investments, but it also applies to personal property, such as a car. Every taxpayer should understand these basic facts about capital gains taxes.
Read MoreBrought to you
Top 8 Year-End Tax Tips
Learn these top 8 year-end tax tips in order to maximize your tax refund or minimize the taxes you owe.
Read MoreBrought to you
Know the Key Dates for Health Care Reform
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) open enrollment periods vary from year-to-year, but are expected to continue to be late in fall to early winter. Being aware of health care reform key dates can mean avoiding tax penalties for remaining uninsured.
Read MoreBrought to you