Tax Tips: How to get a copy of an old tax return

You might need a copy of an old tax return for a variety of reasons, including things like applying for a mortgage, getting a divorce, or defending yourself in a lawsuit. While it's always preferable to keep copies of your tax returns that you can access easily, sometimes you just don't have them.

The IRS can easily provide you with your tax information from prior years if you know how to ask for it. There are two different things you can ask for. A tax return transcript will show what was reported on your original tax return. It doesn't look like your tax return, but it has all the relevant information. A tax account transcript will show adjustments or changes that the IRS make to your tax return after the return was filed.

To get either of these for free, you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or by filling out and sending in Form 4506T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. It can take several weeks to receive your documents, so be patient.

Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, MBA, CFE performs fraud examinations and financial investigations for her company Sequence Inc. Forensic Accounting, and is the author of Essentials of Corporate Fraud.

What is a CPA (Certified Public Accountant)?

A CPA (Certified Public Accountant) is an accounting professional licensed and credentialed by a state or territory to offer accounting services, including tax preparation, to the public.

Read More

Brought to you by

How to File an Amended Return with the IRS

If you've made an error on a tax return you already filed or simply come across new information, such as a tax deduction or credit you now realize you qualify for, file an amended tax return to make the correction. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) knows the tax code is complex, and that people make mistakes. The process for filing an amendment is straightforward. Simply file Form 1040X, Amended Tax Return, along with the corrected or additional documents you did not originally file with your return.

Read More

Brought to you by

2018 Tax Reform Impact: What You Should Know

Congress has passed the largest piece of tax reform legislation in more than three decades. The bill went into place on January 1, 2018, which means that it will affect the taxes of most taxpayers for the 2018 tax year.

Read More

Brought to you by

10 Things You Won't Believe Are Taxed

From Fantasy Football to cancelled debt, here are 10 things taxed by the IRS that might surprise you.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.