Tax Tips: Are my tips taxable?

If you work at a restaurant or any establishment where you receive tips, you need to be sure to report those tips on your income tax return. This includes any business or job at which tips are received – a casino, drycleaner, hair stylist, manicurist, bell hop, valet, golf caddy, and the like.

The tips you must report include both credit card tips and cash tips. It's tempting to not report the money, especially if the tips are in cash. But beware that the IRS has ways of going after employees for not reporting cash tips. Most notably, they like to look at the documentation related to tips on credit cards, and use that to figure out what you probably received in cash tips.

Your best bet is to keep daily records of the cash tips you receive in case you're ever audited. Just ask any restaurant employee who's been audited for cash tips: It's not pleasant and the IRS will make you prove any numbers that conflict with the amount they think you should have reported. More information on reporting your tips can be found in IRS Publication 531.

Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, MBA, CFE performs fraud examinations and financial investigations for her company Sequence Inc. Forensic Accounting, and is the author of Essentials of Corporate Fraud.

Tax Breaks and Home Ownership

Home ownership brings with it not only many trips to home improvement stores, but also a slew of tax breaks. It's up to you to take full advantage of the write-offs available to you. Here's what you can and can't deduct.

Read More

Brought to you by

Sending Kids to College

TurboTax can help you take advantage of tax breaks to ease the financial burden of sending kids to college, including tax credits, tuition deductions, tax-free savings and more.

Read More

Brought to you by

Tax Aspects of Home Ownership: Selling a Home

Though most home-sale profit is now tax-free, there are still steps you can take to maximize the tax benefits of selling your home. Learn how to figure your gain, factoring in your basis, home improvements and more.

Read More

Brought to you by

How to Avoid Taxes on Canceled Mortgage Debt

If you lost your principal residence to a foreclosure or short sale, TurboTax can help you deal with the tax implications, including recent tax law changes that can offer some relief.

Read More

Brought to you by
Read Full Story
Your resource on tax filing
Tax season is here! Check out the Tax Center on AOL Finance for all the tips and tools you need to maximize your return.

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.