This upgrade on the basic bun is a win-win. A topknot is the best way to keep all of your strands off your neck, and it’ll really wow your friends.
1. Start with dry hair and brush through any tangles. Create a deep side part (to whichever side you prefer -- we chose the right), and begin French braiding.
French braid novice? Get started by gathering a small section of hair at the top and divide it into three sections. Cross each outside section over the center piece and add a new piece of hair to each outside section as you go.
2. Continue braiding down the right side of your head, leaving the hair to the left of your part loose. Stop when your braid reaches just below your ear and secure it with an elastic.
3. Gather the braided section and the loose left section into a high ponytail and secure with another elastic.
4. Now twist your ponytail and wrap it around the elastic to create a bun.
5. Use bobby pins to secure the bun in place.
OK, you can relax your arms now; the tough part is done. All that’s left is setting and smoothing …
8. You’re officially a French-braid topknot master!
We love this grown-up take on braided pigtails. Tousle a little or a lot to create the ultimate bohemian hairstyle.
1. Start with all of your hair down. If your hair is freshly washed, a spritz of hairspray will help your strands stay put while you braid.
2. Part your hair down the center to create pigtails and secure each side with an elastic.
3. Split one pigtail into two sections and take a small piece from the outside of the first section and pass it over to the second section. Then, take an equally small piece from the outside of the second section and pass it over to the first.
4. Tug upward and outward on both sections at the same time to tighten your tail. Continue braiding until you reach the end and secure with an elastic.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 on the other pigtail.
6. Rub a dollop of texturizing putty between your fingers and use it to start roughing up your fishtails.
7. Gently tug at both sides of each tail to loosen the braids. You can also run your braids between your fingers to create an even more tousled effect.
8. Now, just pull out a few face-framing strands, and ta-da! Boho-chic perfection. Accessorize with a panama or floppy hat, and you’re good to go.
Sophisticated and polished, this updo is a must-know for a last-minute business meeting or dinner event.
1. Start with all of your hair down. Spritz your clean, dry hair with texturizing spray to keep strands from slipping while you braid.
2. Gather the top section of your hair, starting at the arch of your eyebrows, and separate this large piece into three smaller sections. Begin your braid by crossing each outside section over the center section.
3. Add a new piece of hair to each outside section as you go. When you get toward the bottom, you can pull the remaining hair around your shoulder and finish with a regular braid.
4. Roll the “ponytail” portion of the braid up and under the hair at the nape of your neck and secure with bobby pins.
6. Using the tips of your fingers, dig into the braid and jostle it lightly to give it a loose, effortless vibe.
7. That’s it -- your braiding tutorial is complete. Now all that’s left to do is decide which look to try first!
Discover More Like This
BACK TO SLIDE
It's no secret that braids are this season's hottest hairstyle, but what you may not know is what's most important -- how to actually create them. Check out the simple step-by-step instructions above, or watch the how-to video here.