IRS Form 4506: Request Past Tax Returns from the IRS If you find yourself needing to refer back to a past tax return, but you cannot find your copy, you can request a past tax return from the IRS using form 4506. Find out more about how to request past tax returns with this expert tax tips video from TurboTax.