Our top 5 tricks for getting really shiny hair (like Rose Byrne shiny)
Mirrorlike, right? That's what Rose's long bob looked like at the Women in Film and Television Awards Gala, and it has inspired me to revisit some of our most popular posts about how to get shiny hair. Here are five get-glossy tricks we've mentioned time and time again:
1. The cold rinse. Rinsing your hair in cold (or, more realistically, cool-as-you-can-handle) water at the end of your shower is a surefire way to produce the sleekest, shiniest results possible. Hot water sure does feel more relaxing, but it also lifts the hair's cuticle, which creates a rougher, less light-reflective surface.
2. An at-home glaze. Beth once revealed that her $10 secret to insanely shiny hair is John Frieda Glaze Luminous Color Glaze. "Think of it like a temporary topcoat for your hair," she said. Use a treatment like this once or twice a week to smooth your hair out and gloss it up.
3. Good old-fashioned ironing. Listen, it's not something you want to do every day (or you're sure to end up with the exact opposite of shiny, healthy hair), but let's face it, there's nothing like a curling iron or flatiron to flatten out the hair cuticle and get dreamy glossiness. Just be sure to always apply a heat-protective spray first, and try to use a lower iron temperature if possible.
4. The right finishing product. Whether it's a mist, a serum, or a balm, a shine product is the quickest pick-me-up for dull strands. One favorite we always hear mentioned by celebrity hairstylists and Lipstick readers: Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Styling Cream. I'm known to tote a tube around in my purse.
5. An occasional clarifying sesh. Buildup of styling products can lead to dullness. To gently remove it, add a few ounces of apple cider vinegar to your shampoo, then follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. The cider helps break down residue so your natural luster is in the spotlight once again.
More from Glamour:
10 Fashion Essentials Every Woman Should Own
25 Celebrity Hairstyles that Will Make You Want Bangs
10 Things He's Thinking When You're Naked
Kate Middleton's Best Looks