red onion, minced
Vegeta (optional seasoning mix)
dried Italian herb
cans peeled stewed tomatoes
head escarole washed and chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
baguette, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
unsalted butter, at room temperature
1. In a large stock pot, add the olive oil. Heat on medium high.
2. Add the chopped carrots, onion, garlic. Sauté on medium heat for a few minutes until softened.
3. Add the Vegeta (optional) and dried Italian Herbs. Stir.
4. Add the tomatoes and the liquid. Pulse with a immersion blender until pureed.
5. Add either the chicken soup base and water or the chicken stock.
6. Pulse again with the immersion blender until completely pureed.
7. Bring up to slight boil, and then reduce heat to simmer.
8. Add the escarole. Simmer until wilted.
9. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the Stelline pasta.
10. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper or more Vegeta.
11. While the soup is simmering, preheat oven to 375 F.
12. Cut the baguette into rounds.
13. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
14. Mix the butter at room temperature with the anchovy paste until spreadable.
15. Spread butter onto bread.
16. Sprinkle dried parsley flakes.
17. Bake, watching carefully until golden. You may raise the temp slightly to 425 the last few minutes to ensure golden crispness.
18. Serve with the soup while hot.
Learn why this recipe was the perfect comfort food for Coco Cooks.
Read more from Coco Cooks.