- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Melt the butter and stir in the garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the garlic is lightly browned.
- Add the soy sauce, sake, pineapple juice, rice vinegar and brown sugar. Bring up to a gentle boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Whisk the water and the cornstarch together and then whisk mixture into the teriyaki sauce and simmer until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Rinse the chicken wings and pat them dry. Generously season the chicken with salt and black pepper. Dredge the wings in flour, shaking off any excess flour, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan or deep fryer, heat the oil to about 375°. Fry the chicken wings in small batches until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Shake off any excess oil and place on paper towels to drain. Continue frying the chicken in batches until all of the wings are cooked.
- Toss the wings in the teriyaki sauce and sprinkle with green onions. Serve warm.
America's Best Brunch Spots
Best Chicken Dishes in the U.S.
Best Ethnic Food in the U.S.
Best Burgers in the U.S.
America's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe Credit: Todd Porter & Diane Chu
Image Credit: Todd Porter & Diane Chu