How to Make Cranberry-Apple Pie
Ready to learn how to make an easy, delicious apple pie for your Thanksgiving table? Flip through our slideshow!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll pie crust onto parchment-covered baking sheet; roll to 12-inch circle.
2. Mix JELL-O dry vanilla pudding mix and cinnamon in a large bowl.
3. Add apples, cranberries, nuts and 2 Tbsp water.
4. Toss to evenly coat the JELL-O with the fruit mixture.
5. Spoon fruit mixture onto center of crust.
6. Fold edge of pastry over fruit mixture. Pinch as you go - the fruit in center will remain uncovered.
7. Beat egg and some water with fork until blended; brush onto crust. Sprinkle crust with sugar.
8. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until fruit is tender and crust is golden brown.
9. Cool completely and admire your masterpiece!
10. Look at the flaky crust and the rustic fruit filling.
11. Serve topped with thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Apples that are good for both cooking and eating raw are called all-purpose apples. Varieties include Braeburn, Cortland, Empire, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Jonathan, McIntosh, Northern Spy and Winesap. For this Cranberry-Apple Pilgrim Pie, I used two Honeycrisp and one Granny Smith apple. Some people do not like the apple skins, as they can get tough when cooked. Feel free to peel the skins off before chopping, but I left them on to add to the rustic quality of this pie and give pops of color. I also used walnuts in place of pecans, as I prefer the taste and texture better, and find walnuts go great with cranberries. Almonds might be another complimentary nut to use in this pie. The crust came out so pretty and the taste reminded me of my apple cobbler, but with a twist. Using the JELL-O vanilla pudding mix is such a great shortcut to replace the traditional ingredients of sugar, flour, and vanilla extract. And Keith was really shocked to learn that JELL-O pudding mix could be used for something other than good 'ole pudding. Try this rustic dessert out for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.
1 ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of 14.1-oz. pkg.)
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Granny Smith apples, chopped
1 McIntosh apple, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped Planters Pecans
3 Tbsp. water, divided 1 egg
2 Tbsp. coarse sugar
Healthy Living: Save 60 calories and 15 grams of sugar per serving by preparing with 1 pkg. (1 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Fat Free Sugar Free Instant Pudding and 1/4 cup each cranberries and pecans.
Want to learn how to make this tasty pie? Flip through our slideshow above for directions.
This is a collaboration between JELL-O and the Kitchen Daily Curator Network. Compensation was provided by Kraft Foods via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Kraft Foods.