Did you know this common household fruit can burn you?

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

Five young girls in Hanford, California experienced servere burns and blistering after picking a common household fruit from a neighbor's tree.

After playing with limes and squeezing them at their play lemonade stand, the girls developed strange symptoms, eventually developing into severe chemical burns covering 15 percent of their bodies.

As it turns out, an uncommon chemical reaction called phytophotodermatitis was caused by the girls' contact with the limes and sun.

Watch the video above to hear their story.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Best Bites by AOL and receive delicious recipes delivered to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

People are Reading

Search Recipes