Former TV anchor and city council president sentenced to prison for having sex with 14-year-old boy

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

A former TV personality and president of the Detroit City Council was sentenced Wednesday to up to 15 years in prison for having sex with a 14-year-old boy.

Charles Pugh, a once-popular local figure, told the court "I know I've let down a lot of people," as the judge ordered him to serve 5 ½- to-15 years behind bars.

Read: Ex-Wife of Disgraced Subway Pitchman Jared Fogle Opens Up About His Sex Crimes: 'He Had 2 Lives'

The 45-year-old pleaded guilty last month to two felony counts of criminal sexual conduct. The plea agreement stipulates Pugh must undergo sex offender counseling and have no contact with minors, the Detroit Free Press reported.

He will remain on the sex offender registry for life.

See more images of Pugh:

6 PHOTOS
Former Detroit TV anchor sentenced for sex crimes
See Gallery
Former Detroit TV anchor sentenced for sex crimes
Photo: Inside Edition
Photo: Inside Edition
Photo: Inside Edition
Photo: Inside Edition
Photo: Inside Edition
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

"I accept full responsibility for my actions," Pugh said.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Thomas Cameron admonished Pugh, telling him, "You used your celebrity status, and your position of trust, to convince parents to entrust you with their children."

The judge called Pugh's crimes "reprehensible."

Pugh told authorities the illegal sex acts occurred in 2003 and 2004.

Austin Williams, who has spoken publicly, said he met Pugh at the Fox station where Pugh worked in 2003. They began having sex later that year, when he was 14, the paper reported.

"Mr. Pugh wasn't the decent human being I thought him to be," the victim's mother wrote in letter read in court. "Mr. Pugh was the monster I warned my children against."

Williams, now 28, reported the incidents to police in 2015, more than 10 years after they occurred. He testified he finally came forward because he didn't want Pugh to "do this to any other kids," the paper said.

The former local Fox anchor was elected to the Detroit City Council in 2009, but abruptly quit in 2013 and left the city as allegations of sexual misconduct began to surface.

He ended up working as a waiter at a Harlem soul food restaurant.

Read: Two Bodies Found on Suspected Serial Killer's Property Identified as Missing Couple

Another teen filed a federal lawsuit against Pugh, claiming the council president "groomed" him to be a sexual partner while mentoring the boy, who was then 17, as part of a school program.

In 2015, the jury ordered Pugh to pay the young man $250,000. The Detroit school district settled for $350,000, CBS News reported.

The teen alleged that the district didn't do enough to protect students and gave Pugh extraordinary access to boys.

Criminal charges were not filed in that case.

Watch: Married Teacher Eerily Found Dead After Being Accused of Sex Act with Student

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners