Patient suffers severe burns after farting during surgery

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

All surgeries are believed to carry some risks.

A female patient in Japan is said to have experienced this to an extreme degree when she farted during a procedure, causing a fire to erupt and burn parts of her lower body.

The Asahi Shimbun is reporting that the accident occurred on April 15 when a woman in her 30s was having her cervix operated on with a laser at Tokyo Medical University Hospital.

The news outlet quotes a recently released report as concluding that "When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."

The group could not otherwise find flammable items in the operating room or problems with the equipment.

The patient reportedly suffered serious burns along her waist and legs.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners