3-year-old dies after reportedly eating a toxic 'death cap' mushroom

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

A family in Canada is mourning the loss of their young son whose recent death is believed to have been caused by a poisonous mushroom.

CBC News reports that the unnamed three-year old ate a toxic mushroom known as a 'death cap' while foraging with his family in Victoria.

The boy is said to have received care at two different hospitals before dying days later.

According to Victoria News, while an investigation is still underway, an initial test of samples gathered from the foraging site indicates the presence of death caps, which have a normal light-colored mushroom appearance.

Nevertheless, its toxins, which typically attack the liver, are considered to be particularly dangerous because many of them remain active even after cooking.

In fact, the variety has been blamed for the vast majority of the world's mushroom deaths, notes Times Colonist.

Officials are using the tragedy as an opportunity to warn people about the potential dangers of eating wild mushrooms without proper expertise.

Related: Be aware of these dangerous, poisonous animals:

Poisonous animals
See Gallery
Poisonous animals
A Pit Viper snake is on exhibit at the Butantan Institute in Sao Paulo, Monday, Sept. 29, 2008. The Butantan Institute in a biomedical research center specializing in snakes and produces antivenin to save people from snake bites. Antitoxins against spider and scorpion bites are also produced at the institute. (AP Photo/Andre Penner)
A pygmy rattlesnake is shown at the Miami Science Museum, Tuesday, June 7, 2011 in Miami. The battle between humans and cold-blooded creatures will be the subject of "Swamp Wars," Animal Planet's series debuting at 9 p.m. EDT Sunday that will focus on Miami-Dade Fire Rescue's Venom Response Team. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)  
Mangshan Pit Viper - Venomous Snake
A view of a young Komodo dragon Ivan, one of two males Komodo dragons at the Bioparco zoo in Rome, on May 15, 2014. AFP PHOTO / TIZIANA FABI (Photo credit should read TIZIANA FABI/AFP/Getty Images)
** ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND EDITIONS JUNE 26-27 ** A Western Diamondback rattlesnake is "milked" for venom by handler Virgil Pugh, Colwich, Kan., at the Rattlesnake Roundup on Friday, May 7, 2004 in Sharon Springs, Kan. If bitten, the venom from a rattlesnake begins to digest the flesh, causing intense pain and swelling and can be lethal. (AP Photo/Lawrence Journal-World, Thad Allender)
A Poison dark frog (Oophaga lehmanni), is photographed in a laboratory at the zoo in Cali, Colombia, on April 21, 2015. The zoo of Cali, has the largest amphibians laboratory in the country, where they perform studies on the conservation of some amphibian species in danger of extinction. Colombia has the second largest biodiversity in the world. Activists across the globe will celebrate Earth Day on April 22 with events aimed at bringing awareness of environmental concerns. AFP PHOTO/LUIS ROBAYO (Photo credit should read LUIS ROBAYO/AFP/Getty Images)

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

People are Reading