Polls show Clinton leads Trump ahead of first debate

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

Hillary Clinton has seen her edge over Donald Trump in the polls grow slightly heading into the highly anticipated first presidential debate.

According to the Real Clear Politics average, the former secretary of state leads 46.2 percent to Trump's 43.7 percent nationally. The billionaire business man has cut into Clinton's lead dramatically over the past few weeks, halving her lead from 6 points to now under 3 points.

Trump recently reached his highest chance of winning the 2016 election, according to FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver. Silver's "Polls-plus" projection gave the GOP nominee a 44.5 percent chance of winning the presidency last week, the highest chance of victory he's seen during the entire 2016 campaign. As it stands now, Clinton has a 58.1 percent chance of victory, while Trump has dipped to 41.9 percent.

Click through images of notable presidential debate moments in history:

15 notable presidential debate moments in history
See Gallery
15 notable presidential debate moments in history
(Original Caption) San Francisco: Jimmy Carter (L) takes notes as Pres. Ford makes a point during the second of the presidential debates at the Palace of Fine Arts here.
Vice President Richard Nixon dabs at his chin and lip in Los Angeles on Oct. 13, 1960, during his televised debate with Sen. John F. Kennedy. Nixon was in a studio in Los Angeles, while Kennedy was in a studio in New York. This was the third in a series of debates between the two presidential candidates. (AP Photo)
Rick Perry stumbles when trying to name the three Federal Departments he would eliminate as president during the CNBC Michigan GOP Presidential Debate in Rochester, Michigan. (Photo by Ralf-Finn Hestoft/Corbis via Getty Images)
ST. LOUIS - OCTOBER 02: Democratic vice presidential candidate U.S. Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) and Republican vice presidential candidate Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (L) greet each other at the start of the vice presidential debate at the Field House of Washington University's Athletic Complex on October 2, 2008 in St. Louis, Missouri. The highly anticipated showdown between the two vice-presidential candidates will be their only debate before the election. (Photo by Don Emmert-Pool/Getty Images)
Presidential candidate Ross Perot speaks during the 1992 Presidential Debates. (Photo by © Wally McNamee/CORBIS/Corbis via Getty Images)
CLEVELAND, United States: US Vice-President Dick Cheney points during his face off with Democratic vice-presidential candidate John Edwards at Case Western Reserve University 05 October, 2004 in Cleveland, Ohio. The vice-presidential debate is focusing on foreign and domestic policies. AFP PHOTO/Steve JAFFE (Photo credit should read STEVE JAFFE/AFP/Getty Images)
YEAR-2008 US Republican presidential candidate John McCain (R) and Democrat Barack Obama leave the table after the final presidential debate at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York, on October 15, 2008. AFP PHOTO/Emmanuel Dunand (Photo credit should read EMMANUEL DUNAND/AFP/Getty Images)
New York Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton (L) stands on stage with rival Illinois Senator Barack Obama (C) and Republican presidential contender Arizona Senator John McCain (R) at the end of the ABC/Facebook New Hampshire debates in Manchester, 05 January 2008. AFP PHOTO/Emmanuel DUNAND (Photo credit should read EMMANUEL DUNAND/AFP/Getty Images)
(Original Caption) Omaha, Nebraska: Following their vice presidential debate, Senators Lloyd Bentsen (L) of Texas and Dan Quayle (R) of Indiana reach out to shake hands, October 5th.
NASHVILLE, TN - OCTOBER 07: Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) (R) speaks during the debate with Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) (L) at the Town Hall Presidential Debate at Belmont University's Curb Event Center October 7, 2008 in Nashville, Tennessee. Tonight's debate is the second presidential debate of three, the only one being held in the town hall style with questions coming from audience members. (Photo by Anthony Jacobs/Getty Images)
Democratic presidential candidate Michael Dukakis wipes his upper lip during the first presidential debate with his opponent U.S. Vice President George Bush in Winston-Salem, N.C., Sunday night, Sept. 25, 1988. (AP Photo/Bob Jordan)
CLEVELAND, United States: Gwen Ifill (C), moderator of the vice-presidential debate, faces US Vice-President Dick Cheney (L) and Democratic vice-presidential candidate John Edwards 05 October, 2004 during the candidates only face-to-face debate in the 2004 White House race at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.The vice-presidential debate is focusing on foreign and domestic policies. AFP PHOTO/Jeff HAYNES (Photo credit should read JEFF HAYNES/AFP/Getty Images)
ATLANTA, GA - OCTOBER 13: Vice presidential candidate James Stockdale, an independent candidate, speaks during the debate at Georgia Tech 13 October, 1992 in Atlanta, GA. Stockdale debated Vice President Dan Quayle and Senator Al Gore. (Photo credit should read J. DAVID AKE/AFP/Getty Images)
(Original Caption) Kansas City: Combo of President Reagan and his Democratic opponent, Walter Mondale in their final Presidential debate of the 1984 campaign in Kansas City.
UNITED STATES - CIRCA 2000: Texas Gov. George W. Bush answers a question as Vice President Al Gore looks on during the third and final presidential debate at Washington University in St. Louis. (Photo by Harry Hamburg/NY Daily News Archive via Getty Images)

Both candidates will be looking to sway voters their direction during Monday night's presidential debate, and the stakes could not be higher especially as some national polls show the race closer than ever. A Washington Post-ABC News poll released on Sunday shows Clinton's lead shrinking to only 2 points, 46 percent to Trump's 44 percent, well within its margin of error.

RELATED: RCP swing state poll average - Clinton vs. Trump

Trump over the weekend preemptively began stirring the pot over the weekend, threatening to sit former Bill Clinton mistress Gennifer Flowers in the front row during the event. Flowers later accepted the invite, however the Trump campaign has stated the have no serious plans to accommodate Flowers.

In preparation for the showdown, Clinton selected longtime aide Philippe Reines to play Trump as she prepares for the big night, and was reportedly hunkered down in a hotel near her New York residence all night on Saturday.

RELATED: Topics for the first 2016 presidential debate

The first 2016 presidential debate will begin at 9 p.m. Eastern live from Hofstra University in New York and will be streamed live on AOL.com.

RELATED: RCP general election poll average
Read Full Story

People are Reading