Campers get carbon monoxide poisoning after grilling in tent

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

Campers Get Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Grilling in Tent

A family was hospitalized for possible carbon monoxide poisoning after grilling inside their tent while camping in Cornwall, England.

The family was grilling outside while on vacation, when it began to rain and the family brought the grill inside their tent to continue cooking.

When members of the family began to feel sick, they called emergency services.

A rescue spokesman said that two of the campers felt sick, but that the entire family was brought to the hospital, "to be checked for the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning."

RELATED: The 5 grilling mistakes you keep making

6 PHOTOS
The 5 grilling mistakes you keep making
See Gallery
The 5 grilling mistakes you keep making

Steak
Common Mistake: Not letting the meat "rest." It might be tempting to cut into that juicy, lean beef right when it is hot off the grill. But doing so will actually cool the steak down quicker and release all those good juices, leaving you with a tougher, drier steak. Instead, wrap the steak in aluminum foil and let it rest for about 10 minutes or so before slicing.

Photo credit: Getty

Fish
Common Mistake: Choosing the wrong type of fish. Delicate, flaky fish are a challenge to grill because they will often fall apart or flake through the grates of the grill. Instead, choose a steak-like or firmer fish, such as tuna, marlin, or even mahi-mahi to make seafood grilling a breeze. Or try skewering shellfish like shrimp or scallops for a quick-cooking option.

Photo credit: Getty

Chicken
Common Mistake: Not using a meat thermometer. Overcooking is one of the most common causes of dried-out chicken, but of course you don't want to run the risk of undercooking chicken either. A meat thermometer with grilled chicken is the best solution. The USDA recommends that chicken breasts should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.

Photo credit: Getty

Veggies
Common Mistake: Using too much oil. Of course you need to use some oil when grilling veggies since this healthy fat helps the seasonings to adhere to the veggies and also prevents them from sticking to the grill. But you don't need as much as you might think. We recommend about 1 tablespoon of oil per pound of veggies. Use more than this and you may be left with soggy veggies. Another tip: Cut veggies into evenly-sized pieces and either skewer them or cook them in a grill pan (looks like a skillet with small holes) to ensure they're grilled evenly without the risk of them falling through the grates.

Photo credit: Getty

Burgers
Common Mistake: Not forming the patties properly. Whether you are making beef burgers, turkey burgers, or homemade veggie burgers, you probably already know that forming round, proportional patties is a must. But after flattening them, try putting a thumbprint in the center of each patty. This simple trick will keep the patties flat as they cook by preventing them from balling up and shrinking.

Photo credit: Getty

of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners