Mexican style caprese salad
By The Skinny Fork
I've made lots and lots of different kinds of caprese salads over my cooking life, but this one sort of takes the cake. It's become one of my new favorites.
Initially I wanted to do a caprese that showed off more of my glorious local fresh mozzarella, but... I think I bought them out over the past few weeks because there wasn't any available to purchase this week. Argh!
I had made this salad as a test run a few weeks back while my grandmother was still here. We pretty much ate lunch in silence that day because it was just so darn good! This salad is light, fresh, full of bold flavor and so easy to toss together for a quick lunch.
I sprinkled a little extra of my homemade taco seasoning over the mozzarella and the avocado, because... yum.
I used heirloom cherry/grape tomatoes here, but you could use and cherry/grape tomato that tickles your fancy. I just love the colors and flavors that come in the little variety pack that I get. You eat with your eyes first!
- 2 1/2 C. Chopped Butter Lettuce
- 6 Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, Halved or Quartered
- 1 Oz. Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 Avocado, Pitted & Sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Fat Free French or Catalina Style Dressing
- 1 Tsp. Hot Sauce (Such as Valentina.)
- 1/8 Tsp. Taco Seasoning
- Plate the lettuce and top with tomatoes, cheese, and avocado.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing together in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top of the salad.
- Enjoy right away!