Beloved family dog nearly dies after eating main ingredient used in brewing beer

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Brewing Company Owner's Dog Almost Dies After Eating Hops

As many beer lovers know, making your own brew in the comfort of your home is becoming more and more popular.

But as one Michigan family recently learned, brewers need to make sure their pets don't get into one ingredient in particular.

"I knew hops were bad for dogs, deadly for dogs, and didn't think that he could get at it," Gary Schlaff told WXYZ.

That's Gary Schlaff, who works at the Farmington Brewing Company with his son, Jason. Gary told Newsy's partners at WXYZ he was watching Jason's dog, Booker, while he was out of town.

SEE MORE: Why Your Favorite Craft Brewers Are Selling Out To Big Beer

Gary had put some spent grain and hops in his garden to fertilize the plants earlier that day. Booker got into the mixture while he was outside, and Jason could tell something wasn't right as soon as he got the dog home.

"As soon as I brought him in, he threw up all over the carpeting. It was obviously green, which is a very common color for hops," Jason said.

Jason rushed Booker to an animal emergency center, where he was diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia.

See, when a dog ingests hops, its body temperature can soar past 105 degrees. A dog's normal temperature is between 101 and 102.5 degrees.

And if it doesn't get treatment within a few hours, it could die.

Thankfully, veterinarians were able to get Booker's body temperature down and give him Dantrolene, the antidote needed to save his life.

Jason says Booker is doing great now, and the Farmington Brewing Company is holding a "Pints for Pups" event this weekend to help raise money for the Michigan Humane Society.

RELATED: Foods you should never feed your dog:

Foods you shouldn't feed your dog
See Gallery
Foods you shouldn't feed your dog

Grapes, Raisins and Currents

While these naturally sweet gems from Mother Nature can be a tasty way to add good nutrition to your diet, they can cause kidney failure in certain breeds of dogs, according to the FDA. While the mechanism for the kidney failure is not known, it can occur if the grapes, raisins and currents are consumed raw or even in cooked products, such as cookies, fruit cake and snack bars.

Photo: Getty

Macadamia Nuts

Forget sharing your white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies with your canine buddy. While these nuts are healthy for humans to enjoy, they can be toxic if consumed by your dog. Similar to grapes, the mechanism for the toxicity is unknown.

Photo: Getty

Onions, Garlic and Chives

While these foods add flavor to any dish, they shouldn't be in your dog's dinner dish. Onions, garlic and chives, even the dried powdered forms, contain compounds called organosulfides, which are converted to toxic sulfur compounds in dogs. Cooking or processing these foods will not eliminate the toxins – so forget about spooning salsa, chili or dips containing these foods into your dog's dinner.

Photo: Getty


This lower calorie sugar substitute, which can be found in sugarless gum, candies, some peanut butters and diet cookies, can also be deadly to your dog. While xylitol is safe for human consumption, it can stimulate the release of insulin, which causes a rapid drop in blood glucose levels in your dog. Xylitol has also been associated with liver failure in dogs – so keep the sugarless candies out of your dog's reach.

Photo: Getty

Raw Meat

To avoid foodborne illness, better known as food poisoning, you should not eat uncooked or undercooked poultry and meat, and the same goes for your dog. Bacteria, such as E. coli and salmonella in raw meat and poultry, can sicken both of you. Also make sure you don't accidentally cross-contaminate your dog's foods with these raw foods. For example, if you create hamburgers from raw ground beef or bread raw chicken, don't dip into the treat jar without first washing your hands, warns the FDA. The pathogens on your dirty hands can contaminate the treat being gobbled by your dog. It's a good habit to always wash your hands after touching raw meat and poultry.

Photo: Getty


Read Full Story

Sign up for Best Bites by AOL and receive delicious recipes delivered to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

People are Reading