People urged to stay out of Lake Tapps after dozen people sickened, toxic algae found

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

Toxic Algae in Washington Lake Sickens at Least a Dozen People

TACOMA, Wash. (KCPQ) -- The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department on Thursday urged people to stay out of Lake Tapps after about a dozen people became sick and officials found toxic algae in the water.

People should not swim, wade or fish at Lake Tapps, and they should keep their pets from going in the water, the department said.

SEE ALSO: 4th brain-eating amoeba case this year now in Florida

"We are investigating the potential link between the toxic algae bloom and the symptoms people have reported, but there is no definitive laboratory test for toxic algae illness," said Brad Harp, water resources program manager.

The Health Department has not found toxic algae in Lake Tapps previously.

The department said people who were sick reported symptoms that are consistent with ingestion of microcystin, a toxin.

See more from this story:

6 PHOTOS
Toxic algae in Wash. sickens swimmers
See Gallery
Toxic algae in Wash. sickens swimmers

The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department on Thursday urged people to stay out of Lake Tapps after about a dozen people became sick and officials found toxic algae in the water.

(Photo credit: KCPQ)

The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department on Thursday urged people to stay out of Lake Tapps after about a dozen people became sick and officials found toxic algae in the water.

(Photo credit: KCPQ)

The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department on Thursday urged people to stay out of Lake Tapps after about a dozen people became sick and officials found toxic algae in the water.

(Photo credit: KCPQ)

The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department on Thursday urged people to stay out of Lake Tapps after about a dozen people became sick and officials found toxic algae in the water.

(Photo credit: KCPQ)

The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department on Thursday urged people to stay out of Lake Tapps after about a dozen people became sick and officials found toxic algae in the water.

(Photo credit: KCPQ)

of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

The illnesses occurred in people ages 2 to 48 years, all of whom recovered within 48 hours, the department said.

"Swallowing lake water or prolonged skin contact with algae may result in illness such as muscle weakness, vomiting, diarrhea and/or nausea in people. Anyone who swallows water that may contain algae should contact his or her medical provider. Toxic algae can potentially be deadly for pets," the department said.

Excessive nutrients from fertilizers, animal and human waste can run off into lakes and contribute to algae growth.

For more information on toxic algae, visit the department's website here or call (253) 798-6470.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners