4-year-old hospitalized after groceries fall from shelf in Sam's Club

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

4-Year-Old Hospitalized After Being Struck by Falling Groceries at Virginia Sam's Club

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. (KTVR) – A young child has been injured after a pallet toppled from warehouse shelving inside the Sam's Club store in Colonial Heights Sunday afternoon.

Colonial Heights Fire officials confirmed the incident happened just after 3 p.m.

A witness said shoppers and workers were in shock when they looked down the aisle to see a full pallet of gallon water jugs had fallen from a top shelf and hit a four-year old boy.

Witnesses said the boy's father pulled him from the debris and EMS crews transported the boy to Southside Regional Medical Center.

There has been no word yet on his condition, but witnesses said the child was conscious and crying when he was pulled from the debris.

One witness believes the pallet that fell was double stacked on the third level of the shelving.

"There was a pallet on the ground," one witness said. "And if you look up, there was still a pallet still up there. I don't know if the pallets were double stacked. Maybe something was leaking at some point and got wet and gave way... I'm assuming that that's what happened. That the plastic wrap just have way."

WTVR CBS 6 News has reached out to Sam's Club about this incident, but as of 6:30 p.m. had not received a call back.

RELATED: Protesters injured in Milwaulkee:

Protesters Are Injured In Milwaukee

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners