Baby dies in hospital after receiving nitrous oxide instead of oxygen

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

Baby Dies In Hospital After Receiving Nitrous Oxide Instead Of Oxygen

One baby is dead and another in critical condition after being given nitrous oxide, also know as laughing gas, instead of oxygen at a Sydney, Australia hospital in recent weeks.

According to New South Wales Health Minister Jillian Skinner, gas company BOC Ltd had incorrectly outfitted an oxygen dispenser at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital.

The BBC is reporting that a thorough examination of all gas lines there is being conducted, and other health facilities in the area are encouraged to do the same.

Both Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital and BOC Ltd are under investigation.

For now, the affected families are being given apologies and assurances that Ministry of Health will offer them support, notes Sky News.

RELATED: Overdose rates by U.S. states:

Over dose rates by states
See Gallery
Over dose rates by states

20. North Carolina 

(Photo via Getty)

19. Ohio

(Photo via Getty)

15. Massachusetts

(Photo via Getty)

11. Tennessee

Age-adjusted overdose rate: 19.5

Number of deaths: 1,269

(Photo via Getty)

10. Pennsylvania

Age-adjusted overdose rate: 21.9

Number of deaths: 2,732

(Photo via Getty)

9. Kentucky

(Photo via Getty)

8. Florida

(Photo via Shutterstock / Katherine Welles)

7. West Virginia

(Photo via Getty)

6. Oklahoma

Age-adjusted overdose rate: 20.3

Number of deaths: 777

(Photo via Getty)

5. New Mexico

(Photo via Getty)

4. Rhode Island

(Photo via Getty)

3. Utah

(Photo via Getty)

2. Arizona

(Photo via Getty)

1. Nevada

(Photo via Getty)


Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

People are Reading