Ansbach suicide bomber had pledged allegiance to ISIS: Official

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

One Killed, 10 Injured in Explosion in Ansbach, Germany

A Syrian refugee who blew himself up Sunday night outside a music festival in Germany had pledged allegiance to ISIS in a video, Bavaria's interior minister said.

Fifteen people were injured — four of them seriously — in the blast, which occurred just two days after a gunman killed nine people at a mall in Munich.

The 27-year-old was turned away from the event by security workers in Ansbach, a town of 40,000 people southwest of Nuremberg that is also home to a U.S. Army base. He was wearing a backpack carrying explosives and metal projectiles.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said a video was found on the bomber's phone showing him pledging allegiance to ISIS and announcing "revenge" against Germany "for standing in the way of Islam."

Officials said the bomber's request for asylum in Germany was rejected a year ago because he had already been granted leave to remain by Bulgaria. The hotel where he had been staying was raided early Monday by police looking for evidence.

Photos from the incident:

14 PHOTOS
Explosion Ansbach Germany
See Gallery
Explosion Ansbach Germany
In this image taken from video fire trucks and ambulances stand in the city center of Ansbach near Nuremberg, southern Germany, Monday morning, July 25, 2016, after a man was killed when an explosive device he was believed to be carrying went off near an open-air music festival, injuring 10 others. (News5 via AP)
Police cordon off an asylum seekers' shelter in Villingen-Schwenningen, southern Germany, Friday, Jan. 29, 2016, after someone threw an explosive device over the fence. Police said "it was just luck" the device did not explode and nobody was harmed. (Marc Eich/dpa via AP)
Firefighters prepare hoses outside an asylum seekers' shelter in Villingen-Schwenningen, southern Germany, Friday, Jan. 29, 2016, after someone threw an explosive device over the fence. Police said "it was just luck" the device did not explode and nobody was harmed. (Marc Eich/dpa via AP)
Police secure the area after an explosion in Ansbach, near Nuremberg, Germany July 25, 2016. REUTERS/Michaela Rehle
Police secure the area after an explosion in Ansbach, near Nuremberg, Germany July 25, 2016. REUTERS/Michaela Rehle
Police secure an area after an explosion in Ansbach, near Nuremberg, Germany July 25, 2016. REUTERS/Michaela Rehle
Police secure the area after an explosion in Ansbach, Germany, July 25, 2016. REUTERS/Michaela Rehle
A hearse leaves the area after an explosion in Ansbach near Nuremberg, Germany, July 25, 2016. REUTERS/Michaela Rehle
The pack back used to carry an explosive device is seen at the scene of a suicide attack in the southern German city of Ansbach on 25 June, 2016 A Syrian migrant set off an explosion at a bar in southern Germany that killed himself and wounded a dozen others late Sunday, authorities said, the third attack to hit Bavaria in a week. The 27-year-old, who had spent a stint in a psychiatric facility, had intended to target a music festival in the city of Ansbach but was turned away because he did not have a ticket. ( DANIEL KARMANN/AFP/Getty Images)
Police inspects a refugee shelter where a 27-year-old Syrian migrant who set off an explosive device near an open-air music festival have stayed, on July 25, 2016 in Ansbach. A Syrian migrant set off an explosive device near an open-air music festival in southern Germany that killed himself and wounded a dozen others, authorities said Monday, the third attack to hit the region in a week. ( DANIEL KARMANN/AFP/Getty Images)
Police officers leave after conducting a search at a refugee shelter where a 27-year-old Syrian migrant who set off an explosive device near an open-air music festival have stayed, on July 25, 2016 in Ansbach. A Syrian migrant set off an explosive device near an open-air music festival in southern Germany that killed himself and wounded a dozen others, authorities said Monday, the third attack to hit the region in a week.( DANIEL KARMANN/AFP/Getty Images)
Special police forces block the street near a refugee shelter where a 27-year-old Syrian migrant who set off an explosive device near an open-air music festival have stayed, on July 25, 2016 in Ansbach. A Syrian migrant set off an explosive device near an open-air music festival in southern Germany that killed himself and wounded a dozen others, authorities said Monday, the third attack to hit the region in a week. / AFP / dpa / Daniel Karmann / Germany OUT (Photo credit should read DANIEL KARMANN/AFP/Getty Images)
Police officers leave after conducting a search at a refugee shelter where a 27-year-old Syrian migrant who set off an explosive device near an open-air music festival have stayed, on July 25, 2016 in Ansbach. A Syrian migrant set off an explosive device near an open-air music festival in southern Germany that killed himself and wounded a dozen others, authorities said Monday, the third attack to hit the region in a week. / AFP / dpa / Daniel Karmann / Germany OUT (Photo credit should read DANIEL KARMANN/AFP/Getty Images)
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

Roman Fertinger, the deputy police chief in nearby Nuremberg, said more casualties were likely if the bomber had managed to enter the open-air concert venue.

Thomas Trzybinski, 32, a supervisor for a company that provides security for U.S. Army installations in Ansbach, told NBC News on Monday morning that he was walking near the festival when the explosion went off.

"It was like boom, boom, boom, boom, and it was so loud it was like, 'Oh, my God, what was that?'" Trzybinksi said.

"Not even a few seconds later, people were running my way, and the first thing I heard was [that] a backpack blew up," he said. "I didn't know what to do at the first time, so I just followed them, you know, because I had no clue what's going on."

Hermann said the man had been under psychiatric treatment after at least two previous suicide attempts.

"It's terrible ... that someone who came into our country to seek shelter has now committed such a heinous act and injured a large number of people who are at home here, some seriously," he told a news conference.

"It's a further, horrific attack that will increase the already growing security concerns of our citizens. We must do everything possible to prevent the spread of such violence in our country by people who came here to ask for asylum."

Ansbach mayor Carda Seidel said the bomber was one of 644 refugees living in the town, and confirmed reports that he was due to be deported back to Bulgaria imminently.

Earlier Sunday, another Syrian man seeking asylum used a machete to kill a woman after an argument at the central Omnibus station in Reutlingen, about 22 miles south of Stuttgart, local police said.

The 21-year-old attacker injured another woman and a man before he was arrested a few minutes later close to the crime scene.

Reutlingen is 130 miles west of Munich, where nine people were killed by an 18-year-old gunman in a city shopping center Friday.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners