Nice attack investigation: Two more arrests after truck massacre

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...

Nice Attacker's Father Speaks out on Son's Troubled Past

NICE, France — Two more suspects were detained for questioning early Sunday in connection with the Nice truck attack, officials said.

The Paris prosecutor's office told NBC News that a man and a woman were taken into custody. That brings to seven the number of people held since the bloodbath — including the attacker's ex-wife.

At least 84 people were killed and 200 injured when a truck driver mowed down revelers after a Bastille Day fireworks display Thursday.

The arrests come as new details emerged about attacker Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel.

Officials have said he wasn't known to intelligence services. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve told reporters Saturday that Bouhlel "appears to have become radicalized very quickly."

A close friend of Bouhlel's ex-wife, however, said he was not a radical Islamist but rather a violent man with nothing left to lose after his marriage fell apart.

BFMTV reported that Bouhlel had visited the scene of the crime twice in the lead-up to the attack. NBC News was unable to confirm that report.

SEE ALSO: Politician reactions to Nice attacks

11 PHOTOS
Politician reactions to Nice attacks
See Gallery
Politician reactions to Nice attacks
.@POTUS on the attack in Nice, France: https://t.co/CrbChxZs04
Our hearts are with the victims of what appears to be yet another unconscionable act of terror. #NiceFrance https://t.co/9tYczTnsdD
"Every American stands in strong solidarity with the people of France" —Hillary on the attack in Nice https://t.co/BBGgHucSE0
Another horrific attack, this time in Nice, France. Many dead and injured. When will we learn? It is only getting worse.
Canadians are shocked by tonight's attack in Nice. Our sympathy is with the victims, and our solidarity with the French people.
.@CallyGingrich & I are deeply saddened by the horrifying events in Nice. Our thoughts & prayers are with the victims & their families.
Hatred in all its forms must end. We stand in solidarity with France after the horrific. #BastilleDayTragedy. https://t.co/X5xmA5ZJfY
Our hearts are breaking for the people of France, again. OPD stands with you & grieves with you. #Nice #BastilleDay https://t.co/WcHYGcUxKx
Sickened by news of another senseless attack. On this #BastilleDay we are all patriots of France. Nice, we are with you.
Horrified by the rampage in Nice. NY stands with France in the face of yet another senseless act of terror.
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

The country was on the second of three days of national mourning on Sunday. The Promenade des Anglais — the scene of the carnage — was filled with flowers and tributes placed over blood stains on the pavement.

Several people remained hospitalized — including five children in intensive care — and some people remained unaccounted for. Photos of the missing were mixed with the condolences at memorials around the city.

The family of missing UC Berkeley student Nick Leslie, was expected to arrive in Nice to search for the young man, according to NBC San Diego.

Late Saturday there was a bit of good news: a boy who had been lying in a coma for two days, unidentified, had been found by his grandmother. The 7-year-old's parents, however, have not been located.

Read Full Story

People are Reading