Man contracts flesh-eating bacteria, loses leg after day at the beach

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...

Man Contracts Flesh-Eating Bacteria, Loses Leg After Beach Day With Family

GALVESTON — What began as a day at the beach with his family turned into a nightmare for one Texas man.

Brian Parrott, 50, was at the beach in Galveston, Texas, with his family on Sunday, June 12. He was only in the water for a short period of time, but the next day, Parrott began to feel very ill.

Parrott was rushed to LBJ Hospital in Houston where an emergency surgery removed his right leg from the knee down. He is still being monitored at the hospital as of Tuesday afternoon.

Doctors have said he likely contracted a flesh-eating bacteria through a scratch on his foot.

Necrotizing fasciitis, commonly referred to as a flesh-eating bacteria, is a rare, serious bacterial skin infection that spreads quickly and kills the body's soft tissue, according to the CDC.

The family said there were no warning signs at the beach and felt it was important to share Parrott's story.

See more photos of Parrott below:

6 PHOTOS
Man Contracts Flesh-Eating Bacteria, Loses Leg After Beach Day With Family
See Gallery
Man Contracts Flesh-Eating Bacteria, Loses Leg After Beach Day With Family
Photo via CW39
Photo via CW39
Photo via CW39
Photo via CW39
Photo via CW39
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

Read Full Story

People are Reading