Parents say their child's 'light-up' shoes caused fire, torched car

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

Parents say their child's 'light-up' shoes caused fire, torched car

Two Texas parents are trying to put the word out after they believe their child's light-up shoes might have been at the root of a car fire.

Attila Virag and his wife Jovan noticed on Saturday that there was a strange, dark haze in their SUV, and when they opened the car to investigate, they could smell burning plastic. The passenger seat was melted, but when they called the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office, there was nothing there to cause a fire but clothing and shoes.

SEE ALSO: Girl injured on Nebraska carnival ride may never see again

"There just wasn't anything in there to start a fire," she said. "Only shoes and clothes."

After the marshal's office confirmed the shoes as a possible cause, the parents are speaking out trying to warn others.

RELATED: NBA players with signature sneakers

11 PHOTOS
NBA players with signature sneakers
See Gallery
Parents say their child's 'light-up' shoes caused fire, torched car

Kobe Bryant, Nike

(Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)

John Wall, Adidas

(Photo by Jesse Garrabrant/NBAE via Getty Images)

Dwight Howard, Adidas

(Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

Derrick Rose, Adidas

(Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

Dwyane Wade, Li Ning

(Photo by Issac Baldizon/NBAE via Getty Images)

Carmelo Anthony, Jordan

(Photo by Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE via Getty Images)

Chris Paul, Jordan

(Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)

Kevin Durant, Nike

(Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)

Stephen Curry, Under Armour

(Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

LeBron James, Nike

(Photo by David Liam Kyle/NBAE via Getty Images)

of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

"I'm just glad that my son wasn't wearing it at the time," said Jovan. "I don't know if he could have told me his foot was getting hot, and I don't think he could have taken it off by himself."

"I didn't know there's a battery in there that could be flammable if it's shorted," said Attila.

"I don't want this to happen to somebody else and we're relieved it happened in our car because at least that can be fixed," said Jovan.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners