Mother whose child died from brain-eating amoeba warns others

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...

Mother Whose Child Died From Brain-Eating Amoeba Warns Others

"I have two other daughters, but it doesn't matter. I miss her horribly," Jennifer McClain told KGTV.

Jennifer McClain's daughter, Kelsey, died last year shortly after celebrating her 24th birthday at a resort along the Colorado River.

brain eating amoeba death

Kelsey McClain died at age 24 (Photo courtesy: McClain Family)

KGTV report doctors originally believed Kelsey had developed bacterial meningitis after she lost the ability to speak and move her head.

"It was apparent to everybody this was progressing," McClain said.

EXPLORE MORE: A massive 4-alarm fire broke out at a New York City church

Doctors later discovered Kelsey was infected with a brain-eating amoeba called Naegleria fowleri. The organism lives in slow-flowing rivers, untreated swimming pools and warm lakes and enters the brain through a person's nasal cavity.

RELATED: Take a look at other diseases and viruses

11 PHOTOS
Various bacteria, diseases, infections
See Gallery
Mother whose child died from brain-eating amoeba warns others

Lactobacillus

(Photo by Sebastian Kaulitzki via Getty Images)

E.coli bacteria

(Photo by Ian Cuming via Getty Images)

S. pyrogens, a nonmotile, pathogenic bacteria. Commonly associated with septic sore throat infections (known as 'strep throat') & scarlet fever.

(Photo by S. Lowry/Univ Ulster via Getty Images)

Influenza virus particle surrounded by some floating red blood cells

(Photo by Ralf Hiemisch via Getty Images)

Cyanobacteria

(Photo by Ed Reschke via Getty Images)

Microscopic Image of Escherichia Coli

(Photo by Duncan Smith via Getty Images)

MRSA Staphylococcus aureus Bacteria outside a white blood cell

(Photo by Science Stills via Getty Images)

Microscopic Image of Neisseria Gonorrhoeae

(Photo by Duncan Smith via Getty Images)

Neisseria gonorrhoeae

(Photo by G W Willis via Getty Images)

Microscopic Image of Clostridium Tetani

(Photo by Duncan Smith via Getty Images)

Cyanobacteria in stream

(Photo by Mint Images, Frans Lanting via Getty Images)

of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE
SHOW CAPTION +
HIDE CAPTION

It's a pretty rare infection, which is why health officials say it isn't often talked about.

"For every one patient that will die of Naegleria, a thousand more people will die of drowning," Navaz Karanjia, medical director for UC San Diego's Neurocritical Care Program, told KNSD.

Thirty-seven cases were reported from 2006 to 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And there's no clear-cut way to treat the amoeba.

"My life is ruined. Destroyed," McClain said.

The CDC says people can limit their chances of becoming infected by not submerging their heads while swimming in warm freshwater sources.

Read Full Story

People are Reading