Kids reportedly suffered horrible skin reactions after sitting on their school toilet

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

How to Treat Minor Burns at Home

CAMBRIDGE, Canada — An Ontario, Canada, school district is being criticized by parents after students suffered skin reactions after sitting on toilets at their schools.

BuzzFeed News reported that the Waterloo Region District is investigating the cases of two students at different schools in the district.

A mother who wanted to remain anonymous said her 7-year-old son could not wear pants for 11 days and missed almost two weeks of school at Stewart Avenue Public School in Cambridge, Canada.

RELATED: Everyone's worst nightmare about sitting on the toilet comes to life in one video

"The first couple days were really, really, really bad," the woman told CTV. "He couldn't go to the bathroom without putting a towel on the outside of the toilet seat so that it was soft on his bum."

The woman said the toilet seat was cleaned with a harsh disinfectant. She said she later received a safety data sheet about the substance, indentified as ED Everyday Disinfectant, said the cleaning agent could be "harmful in contact with skin."

She said her son went to the restroom March 31 and later noticed a red rash on his legs that eventually oozed and "progressed to a second-degree burn."

CTV reported that the mother is suing the school board for $250,000.

Another incident was reported at Hespeler Public School at about the same time, the school board told CBC News.

The board sent a letter to parents and guardians saying that "considerable actions have been taken" to ensure safety, including making the restroom off limits, inspecting cleaning products and having toilets thoroughly cleaned.

RELATED: This Florida woman's unfortunate allergy is so debilitating she's afraid to go outside

"The investigation is still ongoing, and as a result we are not in a position to be able to comment on any cause, or the investigation itself," the school board said in a statement to CBC News. "As soon as we were informed of the situation, we developed a safety plan that was put in place at both schools that involved the principal, school superintendent, manager of health and safety and the facility manager."

More from Rare:
Firefighters were able to rescue kids from a house fire and you'll be shocked at who led them there
He was arrested for possession of weed and his mug shot may be the best you'll ever see
Watch a police sergeant go above and beyond the line of duty to save a suicidal man's life

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners