Near 'fatal attraction' after Oklahoma boy swallows 8 magnets

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

10-Year-Old Nearly Dies After Swallowing Popular Toy


OKLAHOMA CITY - Most kids love playing video games. But, there is dangerous new trend landing children like Brady Westphal in the hospital.

"When I swallowed more than one magnet, it would do this inside my stomach, feel it inside," Brady told us.

Brady is on the road to recovery now. But, the 10-year-old probably never imagined what would happen when he swallowed a handful of magnets.

"This is a line of 8, exactly how many Brady swallowed," his mom, Peggy, said.

Photos of Brady and the magnets that were stuck in his body:

Boy swallows magnets nearly dies
See Gallery
Near 'fatal attraction' after Oklahoma boy swallows 8 magnets
Photo: KFOR
Photo: KFOR
Photo: KFOR
Photo: KFOR
Photo: KFOR
Photo: KFOR
Photo: KFOR
Photo: KFOR

Doctors said the magnets collected on a family vacation tore through Brady's stomach, ripping up his intestines and cutting a path of damage through the little boy's abdomen.

"These magnets, especially if swallowed at different times, the magnets don't move all the way through the intestinal tact," said Dr. John Grunow. "And, then, they pinch together one to another, and the tissue in between gets pinched, and the blood supply gets lost. The tissue ultimately dies."

Unfortunately, it's an emergency doctors at the Children's Hospital at OU Medical Center have seen twice in just the last few weeks.

Children swallowing magnets isn't just a problem here. It's one surgeons across the nation are seeing more and more. A recent study found an uptick in kids being hospitalized over the last several years.

"The reality is they can be deadly," Grunow said. "I'm not trying to overstate it. They can be deadly."

Parents need to watch for the warning signs of magnet ingestion. The symptoms could be a mistaken for a virus. Brady's original diagnosis was the stomach flu.

For Brady and his parents, they're just thankful to be back at home and on the mend.

"I took a moment for myself. That's when I broke down and cried, because I was glad that everything was okay," said Brady's dad, Shane Westphal. "It could have been a whole lot worse for him."

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

People are Reading